SMARTPHONE IS YOUR TRAVEL COMPANION
It is difficult to imagine a modern person without a smartphone. And a smartphone is essential for a tourist. An experienced Smart tourist carefully prepares a smartphone for the trip, and then uses all its features.
In this article, we will help you get to know your smartphone better and make it a reliable assistant on any journey.
Of course, if you are planning a trip at home in comfortable conditions, it is more convenient to do this on a computer or laptop, since it is more visual, does not strain your eyesight and displays quite a lot of information on the screen, much more than on a smartphone.
However, when traveling, we recommend using a smartphone, since taking a computer or laptop with you on a trip is not rational for many reasons.
Now almost all resources have both a mobile version of their website and a mobile application. The mobile version of the website is the same website that you see on the computer, but in a light version, because the phone display shows much less information. The mobile version of the website, just like the desktop one, works only when your smartphone is connected to the Internet.
A mobile application is no longer a website, but a program that is installed on a smartphone and you can use it at any time. The application works somewhat faster than the website. In addition, some applications can work offline.
Installed applications are displayed on the screen as icons. To launch an application, just tap on its icon. Each icon can be moved on the screen if you press and hold your finger on it for a while.
All popular smartphones in the world use one of 2 operating systems: Android, produced by Google, and iOS, produced by Apple. These systems are similar, but have a number of significant differences.
Android smartphones are distinguished by a large number of manufacturers and a huge selection of models. While all iOS smartphones have one manufacturer – Apple and one name – iPhone. Only the serial numbers of the models differ. For example, the latest model is the iPhone 13.
Android smartphones are more price elastic. You can choose a model for almost any budget. Obviously, the cheaper the smartphone, the lower its technical capabilities. Smartphones from Apple do not differ in the variety of models, but it is believed that they work somewhat more stable. Therefore, with similar characteristics, the iPhone will cost more than an Android smartphone.
To fully use any smartphone, you must create an account. An account allows you to install applications, find a lost phone, keep notebooks, write notes, receive and send emails, save passwords for websites and applications, save contacts, use a personal calendar, and much more.
All you need to create an account is to complete the registration and answer very simple questions. You can create an account both from a mobile device and a computer. We advise you to prepare a notebook and a pen in advance to write down the name of your account (login), as well as a password.
For a Google account, it is enough to have a Gmail. When you create a Gmail, you automatically have a Google account. This is a free service and does not take much time. If you want to do this on a computer, follow the simple instructions.
1. First, in any browser type GMAIL.COM in the search bar and click search. Or follow this link and proceed directly to step 3
2. Go to the the first website from the search results and select CREATE AN ACCOUNT
3. Enter your first and last name. We recommend using your real first and last name, so in case of a hack, you can prove that your account belongs to you. Create a username for your email. If the name you came up with is already taken, the website will warn you about this and offer free options. Now your email address in GMAIL will be your Google account login at the same time. The next step is to create a password and confirm it. It is advisable to write down your new email address and password so that you do not forget later. Click NEXT.
4. Then fill in your date of birth and gender. You can enter your phone number, but it is not required. Click NEXT.
5. On the next page, you need to read the Google agreement and click I AGREE. Now you have a Google account and Gmail.
On your smartphone, sign in to the Google Play app and enter your Gmail address and the password.
If you want to create an account directly on your smartphone, then do the following:
1. Go to your smartphone settings.
2. Select “Accounts”
3. Select “Add account”
4, Select GOOGLE
5. Select “Create account”
6. Enter your name
7. Enter your birthday and gender
8. Create email address
9. Create password
Be sure to write down your email address and password.
10. Then you will be prompted to enter your phone number, but this step can be skipped by selecting “Skip” in the lower left corner of the screen.
Now you have a Google account and you can fully use your smartphone.
An Apple account is called Apple ID, you will be offered to create it when you turn on the device for the first time. To create it, do the following:
1. Open “Settings” by tapping the gear icon
2. Tap “Sign in to your iPhone” at the top of the screen.
3. Tap “Don’t have an Apple ID or forgot it?”
4. In the pop-up window, tap “Create Apple ID”
5. Enter your birthday and tap “Next”
6. Enter your first and last name and tap “Next”
7. Choose the email address you want to link to your Apple ID – use your current one or get a new iCloud email address.
8. Enter an existing email address or create a new one. If you created a new address, write it down.
9. Create a password, write it down, then enter in the field and confirm.
10. Select a security question and enter the answer to it. This is necessary to recover your account. Write down the question and answer. Repeat the action 2 more times.
11. Agree with Terms and Conditions
12. Select “Merge” or “Don’t merge” to sync iCloud and Safari browser data – tabs, reminders, contacts and calendars
13. Tap “OK” to confirm that Find My iPhone is enabled.
Now you have an Apple ID and you can use all the features of your iPhone.
Now when you have an account, you can install the applications on your smartphone.
On Android smartphones, do the following:
1. Go to Google Play
2. Enter the name of the application in the search bar
3. Select the desired application and tap “Install”
4. After downloading is complete, tap “Open” and you can use the application immediately. Or you can close Google Play and launch the application by tapping on the icon that appeared on the smartphone display.
In order to install applications on iOS you need:
1. On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, open the App Store.
2. Browse the Today, Games, Apps, or Arcade tabs to find the apps you like. Or go to the Search tab to find a specific app.
3. If you found the necessary application, tap the price or the “GET” button.
4. Then tap “Install”
If you see an “Open” button instead of a price or a “GET” button, then the app has already been purchased and downloaded.
The main problems a smartphone solves while traveling are navigating, language barriers and adherence to the planned schedule.
To solve these problems, we have identified only 3 applications that turn a smartphone from an expensive toy into a map, guide, translator and secretary.
This app is considered the most complete map. Available both on Android and iOS. The map is linked to Google search and to the special service Google My Business, so all information is kept up to date. Read more about this application in our article.
Universal translator for more than 100 languages of the world. Allows to translate both written text and speech. More details in our article.
This is the time planner, or in other words, your robot secretary. Since this app is powered by Google, things like emailed flights are automatically added to your calendar so you don’t miss your flight. The application also allows you to plan your travel time and then receive reminders of a particular event. More details in our article.
In order to travel less dependent on the Internet connection, which may be unavailable for some reason, you can use the offline functions of applications. To do this, you need to download data in advance that may be useful later. This data will already be in the memory of your smartphone and you can use it without connecting to the Internet. For example, Google Translator can download dictionaries for the languages you will encounter, and Google Maps can download a map of the area you are heading to.
In addition to these 3 most functional and popular applications among travelers, we can recommend the very popular izi.TRAVEL application, which in fact can replace your guide.
This application is a robot guide, which contains many tours to cities and museums of the world in different languages. You can also download in advance the tours that you plan to take, and then, without an Internet connection, listen to stories that will turn on automatically when you approach a particular attraction. It is installed for free on Android and iOS. More about the application here.
There are many more apps that can help you on your journey, and you can find them yourself. In addition, many destinations, airports, and railways release their own applications to make it easier to move and navigate.
So, before you travel, you should search the stores for apps related to the destination you are going to. It is possible that they will make your trip more comfortable and meaningful.
To search, just enter keywords in the search bar.
In addition to travel apps, you will most likely need more universal apps that will also come in handy while traveling. Below we have provided a small list of useful applications. To install them, just search them on Google Play or App Store.
Camera – an application that turns a smartphone into a camera, usually preinstalled.
Clouds – Google Drive, iCloud – applications that allow you to store information, photos, videos on the Internet.
Whatsapp is one of the most popular instant messengers in the world. It allows not only to exchange messages, but also to make calls, both voice and video.
Skype, Zoom – apps for video calls.
Facebook, Instagram – popular social networks that allow you to share opinions, photos and other information.
Twitter – a social network that allows you to share short messages, as well as photos and videos.
In general, the development of smart tourism leads to the fact that the smartphone becomes an indispensable assistant for the traveler to get more travel experience with less time and money.